BRILA: Bioacoustics Research in Latin America
Mission Statement: Uniting scientists and resourses engaged in bioacostics research in Central and South American countries across disciplines.
SABIOD is an interdisciplinary Big Data MASTODONS CNRS project, started in 2012, from bioacoustics to ecology, signal processing to feature learning, large scale classification to biodiversity. In 2015 it involves 40 academic researchers and 15 private researchers in scaled signal processing, machine learning, ecology, biology and physics.
Bioacoustic signaling is a primary mode of communication and exploration for most of the animals. It enables quick load and transfer of information without any visible contact with the target, tackling the reduced visibility of deep forest (insect, frogs, birds, mammals...), cave or night activities (insects, bats), and/or the long distances like in ocean (krill, fishes, whales...). Bioacoustics is also one of the factors in optimizing natural selection, playing a significant role in signalling resource qualities to potential partners.
Thus, SABIOD project aims to detect, cluster, classify and index bioacoustic big data in various ecosystems, space and time scales, in order to reveal informations on the complex sensori-motor loop and the health of an ecosystem, and to demonstrate anthropic impacts or new biodiversity insights.
- New Challenge on environmental bioacoustic scaled index, EADM Challenge 2015 to be opened beg. of august 2015
Here are the spectrogram of some samples of the challenge, also described in this report (clic here):
- Call for paper: IEEE Workshop. (Aug. 9. ext. deadline): 'Environmental Acoustic Data Mining [EADM]',14 nov. 2015, Atlantic City, USA.
- 10th Advanced Multimodal Information Retrieval School / Workshop : 'Big Data Sciences for Bioacoustic Environmental Survey', 21 & 22 April 2015, Toulon, Provence Cote d'Azur.
- Sabiod co-organizes BIRD LIFECLEF 2015 with 1000 bird species!! Based on different types of audio records over 1000 species from South America centered on Brazil, this challenge is the biggest ever organized.
- Sabiod supports the Sea Explorer project, the first 5D bioacoustic lab catamaran for embeded soundscape analyses.
- BOMBYX SABIOD sono buoy (Multimodal Buoy for Bioacoustics and Oceanography) allows to monitor Sperm whale (cachalot) south of Port-Cros National Park - Pelagos.
- JASON SABIOD Project (Joint Acoustic Survey for Online Biodiversity) is started, joining 30 tenures from university of Toulon.
- SABIOD runs in Italian Alps with Cibra Collaboration.
SABIOD is a CNRS Big Data Interdisciplinary project 2012-2017
- Laboratories:LSIS, LIP6, CNPS, MNHN, CEBC, LAM, LMA, GIPSA, ISNM, (LIG), DIENS Ulm, Géoazur, CIBRA Pavia, Cornell Univ, New-York Univ data science dpt, Valencia coll. USA
- National Parks:Port-Cros, Pelagos Sanctuary, Grand Lagon Sud (UNESCO - New Caledonia)
- Compagnies:Cyberio, Parisson, Click'R, Osean
- Associations:CETAMADA (Madagascar), MareNostrum (Fr.), EtikEko (Fr.), St Pierre Miquelon Association (Fr.), VivaMar (Slov.), ODO (It.)
- Keywords:Bioacoustics, Big Data, Signal Analysis, Machine Learning, Features Learning, Ecology, Biodiversity